Half the year has gone, and what do we have to show for it?
From Interior Plantscape Association (IPA) perspective things have been quite busy.
A number of technical questions from our members are currently being explored. Some of these questions are:
- Is the use of coir fibre in potting mix promoting an issue of fungus gnats?
- Confidor is being withdrawn from use because it kills bees, so what is the alternative chemical for Indoor PlantLife?
- Is town water with Fluoride the cause of rust spots on numerous varieties of plants?
Replies to these concerns are currently being formulated and will be available ASAP. If you have any suggestions please call or send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Another issue that has been discussed is ‘Environmental credentials’ which is the buzzword in all industries at present. This motivated me into thinking, how does our industry shape up? Some very important questions you should be asking yourself:
- Are your service vehicles meeting the regulated standards?
- What does your company do with used plants?
- What chemicals do you use?
- Do you recycle old grow and decorator pots?
- Do you have in place a schedule for the best times to spray for responsible chemical use?
- Is your chemical inventory submitted to the building management for approval?
- Are your staff accredited to use chemicals?
These are just a few questions that require serious consideration. My team and I have personally found servicing large building sites that the above requirements are necessary, as well as weighing all our trimmings and waste and reporting it to management. We cannot ignore these environmental issues as the future direction for our industry will be facing these challenges.
My question is: Will your company be ready for these challenges?
I don’t wish to frighten you, but feel these issues need to be in your mind as you plan for the future growth of your business.
I think this is enough to chew over for this month!
Until next month…
Arthur Stacey- 2018 President